Monday, November 17, 2008

It felt really nice

to be in church again Sabbath. We have really been struggling to find the right church. I have always had a weird reaction to people saying "we need to find the right church for us" or "that church wasn't the right fit for us". I just didn't like that it sounded like it was "all about them". And now here we are in the same boat.

We loved the people in the Boston church - it just didn't work. They are a 9-5 church that had little to nothing to offer to our children. It was really hard to drive that hour and 20 minutes to sit and try to keep the kids quiet OR to take them downstairs and "babysit" them and the other kids that joined us. I got NOTHING out of the services. Now, I did try to get a children's church going - it worked until I got burned out. Anyway, I digress. We do LOVE the people. We felt more welcomed and wanted there than anywhere else here in the northeast.

We tried out the local SDA church. Nice people, but we always felt like visitors. Another church that didn't fit.

We even considered attending on Sunday (yes, I heard some of you gasping). There are some really great churches around here, with some great children's programs. The kids already attend Awana's at a local southern baptist church and love it. We're not ruling it out completely, but for now:

We attended another SDA church in Amesbury, Mass this past Sabbath. There were not many people there and few children...but the hymns were familiar (it was so nice to sing again!) and the message was really good. And, there was no mention of Ellen B White (who I am sure was a great person, but I'm not comfortable putting her up there with Jesus like it appears the local SDA church does). The do have Sabbath school (we did not attend this time) and we'll take the kids next week for sure. Everyone was really nice and there were some young families there like ours! So - for now, we're going to see where this takes us.

Stay tuned....

2 comments:

Liz said...

That's really cool Amy. I hope this one works out and the search can be over. We dealt with that so much in Chicago but finally before we left there was one church that we attended the most regularly. Sounds like you all are keeping super busy (Soccer Mom...).
Take care!
Liz

LilRedJo said...

I LOOOOVE the AWANA program!! Our church stopped doing ours.:( I really had NO IDEA how important it was for the children (and helpers;) ) to memorize those verses week after week. I truly, truly miss the AWANAs. Praying for you to find the 'right fit.'