Wednesday, January 12, 2011

It's a Sickness...



I don't have a lot of hobbies...and the ones I have "come and go". This isn't necessarily a good thing. I'm thinking that it would be better for me to do a little of each hobby all the time.

Instead, I put something down - for example: crocheting - and won't touch it for 6 months or more. I finish a book and don't pick up another for a couple of months. I scrapbook for a month and then everything will sit there for weeks.... UNTIL:

I pick one of these hobbies up again and CAN'T PUT IT DOWN!!! Current obsession: crochet.

Sigh....

I am crocheting a baby blanket for my cousin Angie. She and my cousin Jordan are expecting their first child after MANY YEARS of infertility. I am SO THRILLED for them and am excited to get this blanket finished. I chose a multi-colored yarn that I knew had other colors easy to match so that she could choose a color. She chose the multi-colored yarn. This is great!!! I love making blankets like these. So, after agonizing (seriously, it took me forever) on a pattern/stitch, I got started. I quickly went through that skein of yarn....and remembered I only bought one skein so she could choose a color...and I've not been back to the store since. ONE SKEIN. Seriously....I have about 1/12th of the blanket done and we've been practically snowed in and I've not been able to work on it any more. I needed a crochet fix...fast.

So, I dug through my left over yarn. I found some yarn left from another baby blanket project (that one for my handsome nephew Caleb) and just.couldn't.stop.myself. Now this yarn doesn't at all match Angie's blanket, so I just started a whole new project.

Here's a pic of what I've done on Angie & Jordan's blanket for Brynlee -


One skein....this one's gonna take a lot of yarn!!

Here's my "obsession" project:

I'm just started a green row - will do that a few rows, the back to blue and follow that pattern for a while. I don't have enough of the multi-colored yarn to use that much in the pattern. It will be the widest at the top of the blanket, I will throw in a few single or double rows through out and then end with it.

I am really loving this stitch...I tried out a ton of fancy stitches that I found on the internet and just couldn't pull them off...I found this on a website somewhere - it seemed that someone had just made it up as they went along. Very simple, yet different from my usual double/triple crochet.

Anyway - I'm going to watch something on Netflix whilst I continue with my obsessi....er...project. Tomorrow is a NO CROCHET day as I recover the house from three snow days. It was more fun to play with the kiddos than to keep it up much...so tomorrow it's full speed ahead!

Happy Wednesday night!



3 comments:

LilRedJo said...

Looks good! I knitted for a while. It was fun.

Anonymous said...

Do you use https://www.ravelry.com/

I joined recently and found tons of patterns. So fun. I made Evan a Yoda hat for his birthday. We will see if he likes it. I told G that I would wear it if Ev doesn't like it. It is like this but child size: http://drchopsuey.blogspot.com/2010/05/couple-of-gifts.html

Anyway, let me know what you think of the site.
~Venus

Camellia said...

Ok - so what IS the stitch? Share! Always looking for new stitches to play with... I just finished up a ripple lap blanket using Homespun yarn for Arron's grandmother. We were in Chicago to see her this last wknd - one of those things that I was finishing WHILE we were there... haha. On the car trip home, I started experimenting with kitchen towel toppers. So that's my current thing. Of course, I have this ongoing herringbone pattern afghan half finished, sitting in a bag in the living room. Arron enjoys pointedly reminding me about it from time to time... It IS addicting, though I tend to have a bit of crochet a.d.d.... :) Camellia