Thursday, December 09, 2010

The Homeschool Debate

The debate isn't whether or not we will homeschool again - that is a definite - but WHEN we will homeschool again.

And I'm happy to report that, as of today, we might very well be homeschooling again next year! There are many things that will have to fall into place for that to happen, but IF these things DO fall into place, we'll know that the Lord is leading us back into homeschooling. We will be, however, taking a very different approach to homeschooling. As of today, we'll be trying out the Switched on Schoolhouse program for Hunter and Lizzie - and Alpha Omega LIFEPACs for Tanner (Tanner will start SOS in 3rd grade). I've been reading a lot of reviews - and am finding some VERY differing opinions. Some hate SOS, some LOVE it. I don't know what category we'll fall into, but I know that we have to try something DIFFERENT, or it won't work! I have discovered that while I actually enjoy making lesson plans, I am not good at teaching the lessons. The two things that I am sad to give up is our science (Apologia) and history (Story of the World), but we won't be giving them up completely. We'll use both to supplement what we are learning with SOS and LIFEPACs.

We would appreciate your prayers for guidance. I truly feel that my kids would be better, in the long run, home with me. Public school hasn't been a BAD experience so far, but they are bring home attitudes, words, topics of conversations that I wish were left at school.

**Explanation of previous post: Nothing's Right, Nothing's Wrong While I am a firm believer in respecting other beliefs, I think there's a difference in teaching our kids to respect differences and teaching our kids everything is OK. I believe that is where society is taking our kids. That is frightening to me. I hope that I've said that correctly.

3 comments:

b dawg said...

Yes the direction society is going on that is scary. I agree with you that respecting differences is good. Just because we respect a difference doesn't mean we have to believe it is right. It worries me that there is no telling what my kids will encounter at school these days. From the topics that children discuss today that they may bring from their homes to anything else that they may be indoctrinated with in the public system. You and your family are in my prayers. :-)

H, L and T's Grandma said...

Amy, I completely understand and agree with you...Will definitely be saying prayers for God's leading in your thoughts and decisions. Would appreciate your prayers for us too...have told Dan & Kiera that their attitudes and behavior this year will have a direct impact on WHEN they are pulled out to homeschool!! Told them the more they act up and misbehave, the sooner they will be be pulled out....we'll see if they were listening and how badly they want to stay at school. Either way, they've been informed that the deadline to start homeschooling will be JR. High! I just know that if they stayed in school during those years, I would lose them for sure.
Love you,

H, L and T's Grandma said...

P.S. to my last post.....
I wish I could pull D & K now, but I'm not organized enough (and some will say I never will be, oh well,..) and I don't think I can be assertive enough for them just yet. I am working on that...specifically, very hard right now. Need your prayers for myself.