Thursday, December 02, 2010

It's the most wonderful time....of the year...

Oh wait - I don't celebrate those holidays....

If you had heard me speak those words, you'd have heard much sarcasm. No, I'm not talking about the extra traffic on the roads and in stores. I'm not even talking about the school parties that we have to decide if the kids will or will not participate. I'm not talking about the endless stream of Christmas songs on the radio....that I find myself singing along with....

I'm talking about that nasty GERM monster. My poor kids...Lizzie especially... I knew that putting them back in ps would invite more germs than we've dealt with in a long time - but she's been hit hard over the past few weeks. Poor girl is barely breathing and coughing so hard she's given herself a headache, chest-ache and throat-ache. And it's all in her head....literally. She's got so much fluid in her little head - it's SO not been a fun few days for her!!

We ended up at the doctor today - she's being treated for sinusitis. I guess that's "pre-sinus infection"?? We were prescribed antibiotics and Nasonex. After a run around at the pharmacy - I find out our insurance doesn't cover the Nasonex and it will cost us $109.62 (I only remember that b/c Lizzie repeated it about 5 times in disbelief!). So we got a scrip for a generic - still $50. We decided to try an over the counter for tonight and if that didn't cut it, then fork over the $50 tomorrow. I'm happy to say it seems to be helping ALOT and she's seems to be sleeping well.

****A kicker for me? This is a little rant that goes on in my brain every time Lizzie is sick. Lizzie was my only child that was breastfed longer than a month. In fact, she nursed for 14 months. I only stopped b/c I got pregnant with Tanner. So - you'd think that MAYBE she'd be a little healthier than the boys - as far as immune system? NOT. She's my sickest child. Always has been. She had several ear infections before age 2 - and in the past few years, if anyone is sick - it's her. I just don't get it... So - while I am extremely PRO breastfeeding - we probably shouldn't be hired for a PSA on the long-term health benefits of nursing! : ) ****

Hoping that she's able to go to school in the morning...I just want her to be feeling good again. It's never fun to hear your child say she feels like she's going to die because she feels so miserable, no matter how dramatically she says it! ; )


~~Blessings~~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Amy, I'm so sorry Lizzie is sick! Kiera is doing the coughing thing too...I rubbed her feet with Vicks VaporRub tonight. Seems to be helping some, she hasn't coughed as much since I sent her to bed. (Of course as soon as I typed that, I heard her cough!!) Hope Lizzie is feeling much better in the morning. Tell her G-ma loves her (and the boys, too). Get some rest yourself...don't want you getting sick!! (((HUGS)))

LilRedJo said...

Ha! My only bottle-fed child is the healthiest too! Ironic?!

LilRedJo said...

I was just thinking; have you considered calling your doctors office back and requesting samples for the meds??? Just tell them that they were 100+ for the name brand and 50 for generic, and you cannot afford that. They get samples all.the.time. It's worth a shot to see if they have something comparable before shelling out big bucks?